Friday, December 14, 2012

DIY Jewelry/Handbag/Scarf Hanger

Opa was a collector of anything that you could think of that would fit in a giant work shop. And so it has been fun to see what little treasures he held on to. When I found a collection of old knobs that I assume he had rescued from old pieces of furniture, I couldn't wait to use them. I had an idea, so I went back to the work shop (behind the house) to look for some scrap wood. I found this, which I think is part of an old cabinet door.
 I measured out equal distances and then drilled holes where I had marked. I made sure to use a drill-bit that matched the screws that were on the back of the knobs so that they would fit easily through the wood.
 Here is how my holes looked after drilling.
 This is the view from the back...testing out my screws.
 This is the collection of knobs that I decided to use. I thought a bunch of different ones together would be fun. If you didn't have any on-hand, Hobby Lobby and Anthropologie both have a good (but not free) selection.
 Then I used more of "old faithful", the same paint used on the rocker and the dresser. I did a really dry and rough coat to give it a more rustic feel.
 Then I just screwed my knobs back through and that was that! A hanger for whatever you may need to hang.
 I also attached some hanging teeth to the back (I am awful at this, they are crooked, but no one sees that part). You can also see how the screws look from the back.
 I love the unique knobs...I wish Opa was around to tell me their stories. I can guarantee he would remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment